On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Marcos Laufer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to report a problem i experienced while testing OpenBSD 4.1 .
> I've installed it, increased VM_PHYSSEG_MAX to 16
> in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/include/vmparam.h to make
> it work with this particular motherboard and made a
> stable release.
> Installed a server with it and it's working fine as an MX for
> a few months until now.
> The machine was crashed, no error on the screen and the keyboard
> did not respond. I rebooted , it started to fsck , and
> the fsck failed on /usr. So i run fsck manually : fsck -y, but
> it crashes with segmentation fault, so i can't mount or
> start the server.
> I read on the archives that it was a problem because of running out
> of swap, but i had made a 2gb swap partition, despite of that
> i added a 64mb file as swap and tried fsck again, but no luck.
> This time it was easy for me to reinstall everything in a new hard disk, but
> i still keep the old one because i would like to learn how to fix
> this , if anyone wants me to make some tests or has
> any ideas on what is going on , let me know.

Start by showing the error messgae. A segmentation fault is something
different than running out of memory.

If fsck segfaults, I need a proper error report.
See http://www.openbsd.org/report.html

If fsck runs out of memory, increasing ulimit -d might help, like:

# ulimit -d unlimited
# fsck ...

That reminds me to cook a diff to do this automatically. With
filesystem getting larger an larger, more people will run into
out-of-mem situations.

        -Otto