On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:09:16AM -0700, pixotec wrote:
> I want to set the environment variables
>
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/jdk-1.5.0/bin
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk-1.5.0
>
> globally.
>
> for one user I can change therefor .profile like this:
> PATH=/usr/local/jdk-1.5.0/bin:/bin:...
> export PATH HOME TERM
>
> but I want it for all users:
> 1. could change all .profile-files of all users: no thanx ;-( (and change
> /etc/skel/.profile for future new users)
> 2. change /etc/login.conf ???
> 3. create /etc/profile, change all existing .profile of users (to source
> /etc/profile) and change /etc/skel/.profile

Do you really need to source /etc/profile for login shell or is it
automatically sourced? I didn't try it, but sh(1) says:

 -l  Login shell.  If the basename the shell is called with (i.e.
     argv[0]) starts with `-' or if this option is used, the shell is
     assumed to be a login shell and the shell reads and executes the
     contents of /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile if they exist and are
     readable.

> 4. change /etc/ksh.kshrc and create .kshrc sourcing /etc/ksh.kshrc for all
> users (and in /etc/skel...)
>
> IS THERE A EASY WAY (change only on central file for all users) TO SET THEM?

Regards,
Markus