On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 06:07:08PM +1000, Chris wrote:
> I'm trying to buy (from ebay) a cisco switch, router and pix firewall
> for learning purposes. All these will be connected to a Linksys ADSL
> modem which also has wireless capability. The OSs will be OpenBSD4.1,
> Windows XP and Linux distros. I will probably also try IPv6 (not sure
> if that has got anything to do with this). I had a look at cisco
> catalyst 1900 series switch and it looked ok.
>
> Could anyone recommend anything that would be great for leaning
> purposes

My suggestion - don't buy one. Instead, run a Cisco IOS image inside a
Dynamips virtual machine:
http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator

This can emulate a 7204 quite happily. But even better, it can emulate a
whole *network* of 7204's. So you can set up a whole bunch of these virtual
routers talking ospf, bgp, l2tp, or whatever you like.

Of course, you still need to get your hands on an IOS image somehow.

> and also be able to handle daily Internet traffic? Thanks.

Well, if you want a (relatively) cheap ADSL router for home use you could
look at the 877W. If you get the ADVIPSERVICES licence then you get VRF-lite
functionality too. But if this is your main Internet access gateway then you
probably don't want to be meddling with it too much as a learning tool at
the same time.

For a small desktop switch with VLAN capability, consider the 2940-8TT (8
ports 10/100 plus 1 port gigabit). The big advantage of this is that it is
silent and fanless, which you'll appreciate if you've ever had a Catalyst on
your desk.

Regards,

Brian.