Timo Myyrd wrote:
> Still having problems. I can't get the soekris to boot as far as I can tell.
>
> I used fdisk and created slice for OpenBSD and then used disklabel to
> create the partitions inside it.
> After that I extracted sets (base,etc,man) to the disk.
> I used "fdisk -u sd1" to update the MBR.

You didn't install the PBR.  installboot(8), FAQ 14.

> I modified the /etc/ttys to:
> tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" vt220 on secure

Personally, I'd rather slow the Soekris ROM down to 9600.  That's a
more standard speed.

The OS and the HW default to two different speeds, so one will have to
move from default.  If this is the only serial device in your life,
you may not care.  It's far from my only serial device, however.
Everything else seems to default to 9600.

> I added following to boot.conf:
> set tty com0
>
> I connected the card to soekris and put the DB9 cable between soekris
> and my laptop.
> Before turning power to soekris I gave command "tip -19200 tty00" on my
> laptop and it replied "connected".
> After I turn on Soekris.... nothing happens.

Then you have serial cable problems, IN ADDITION TO the PBR problem.

Using cua00 instead of tty00 may help some of your serial problems.

> I wait a while, turn it off
> and mount the CF again with the reader.
> I mounted the partitions again and check the /var/log/messages and it's
> empty. Shouldn't here be some info if the OpenBSD itself would have booted?
>
> Any idea what to do next?

install the boot code properly and fix your serial problems. :)

Nick.