Nikolaus Hiebaum wrote:
> I am currently searching for an e-mail/calendar application which is
> capable of the following:
> - support clients running on Windows machines (Outlook)
> - support clients running on Linux/OpenBSD machines (Evolution)
> - provide Webmail incl. the calendar
> ... My other question is whether you know of alternatives...

I have a mild interest, but it's not really my activity.  Here are three
I've read about:

Zimbra has gotten good mentions:
  http://www.zimbra.com/
Apparently the source is available:
  http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html

Scalix is another:
  http://www.scalix.com/community/downloads/

So is OpenXchange:
  http://www.open-xchange.com/

There are a handful of others, but I can't recall them.  If you try any
out or decide to deploy any it'd would be very useful to hear how it went.

Standards based modules can probably be put together to create the
illusion of a monolith.  I question the monolithic approach to such
activities.

Anyway, using Outlook will be problems.  It doesn't work well with MS
Exchange, but people have been browbeat into not saying anything about
it.  "People will just get used to a lower level of service."  Using it
in conjunction with another service will likely cause them to take it
out on you and the other technology, so best to at least make plans to
phase it out so that you have the option.

-Lars