"Constantine A. Murenin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In this whole discussion, I really like the following quote from a
> response to Luis' email regarding SFLC involvement...

At first blush it looks to me like the SFLC at least must have
emphasized that the originators' wishes are to be respected.  By
volume at least most of the public discussion has been from and
between people who have not themselves contributed code.  It remains
to be seen if the (apparently SFLC recommended) commit referenced
upthread is actually acceptable to the originators involved.

> Al Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>       "if you have to rely on SFLC for licensing decisions...  Ouch."
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/1/222
>
> Yes.  "Ouch."

At least some degree of agreement between the two camps then. :)

I've kept repeating over the years that license issues revolve for a
large part around having a measure of basic respect for other people,
specifically those who make useful code for others to use.

Episodes like these are tiring at least (distracting from other
important task for me at least) and to some extent painful, but if
this one leads to an SFLC statement saying "respecting the wishes of
those who use other licenses than GPL is essential" or words to that
effect, it may actually end up doing some good for all of us.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/