Just to chime in my experiences, I have an old HP scanner/copier connected via a parallel cable to a HP jetdirect box.

From my openbsd host I simply run the following to retrieve an image of current page on the scanner glass.

wget -S -v -t 1 -O scan.pdf "http://jetdirect:9280/scan/scan.pdf? scan_id=1&image_format=3&paper_size=2&image_type=1&dpi=150&gamma=1"

I regard this as the scanning equivalent of Bob's 'get a PS printer' to avoid the complexities of drivers...

/Pete