On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:25:44PM +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
| > | While it may be seen as distateful to make modifications to
BSD-licensed
| > | code, and place those modifications under the GPL or a similar "share
| > | alike" license, based upon what I understand of copyright law, it's
| > | perfectly legal. Even though BSD-style licenses are compatible with the
| > | GPL, there are perfectly acceptable social goals achieved only by
| > | releasing under the GPL or a similar license.
| >
| > I'd say that it goes against the GPL. Yes, the GPL, not the BSD
| > license (or the ISC license), GPL. Theo already quoted the relevant
| > bits, but I'll quote them again :
| >
| >       For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
| >     gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
| >     you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
| >     source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
| >     rights.
|
| 1. that's in the preamble, which establishes the spirit
| 2. 4 paragraphs below you read:
|
|       The precise terms and conditions for copying, distribution and
|       modification follow.
|
| 3. later on you learn the "precise term" which is "under the terms of this
|    License"
|
| So no, you're wrong. Don't bother defending your point of view, it's a
waste
| of time to both of us, more to you who will write it. :)

First you establish a spirit. Then you go on totally ignoring this
spirit in your "precise terms". Exactly why would you establish this
spirit in the first place ?

It's in the license, right ? You say yourself that it establishes
spirit. Why not uphold this spirit ? It goes against *the spirit* of
the GPL, so I would pose that it goes against the GPL and that perhaps
the "precise terms" are misworded, missing the spirit as set forth in
the preamble.

I may be wrong there, but *that* is so utterly, completely and totally
wrong that it is mindbogging why there is so much code released under
so much verbiage which we now call the GPL.

"You are my brother in spirit, but i'll steal from you anyway and
totally ignore the spirit."

You're not about free software.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/