On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 08:25:14AM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> > And if you choose the GPL the code you distribute will be under the GPL
> > *only* forever [1], so what value would be in shipping terms that are
> > void?
>
> Not true. You cannot chose the license that applies to other people's code.
> The code you distribute contains protectable elements from different authors.
> Each element is still offered under whatever license the original author
> offered it under.
>
> You cannot affect the license grant from the author to the lawful possessor
> of code you did not author.
>
> The code you *contribute* will be under the GPL *only* forever. But the code
> you distribute will contain elements from different authors offered under
> different licenses.

The licence text we are talking about disagrees with what you claim:

<--  snip  -->

/*-
 * Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Sam Leffler, Errno Consulting
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer,
 *    without modification.
 * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce at minimum a disclaimer
 *    similar to the "NO WARRANTY" disclaimer below ("Disclaimer") and any
 *    redistribution must be conditioned upon including a substantially
 *    similar Disclaimer requirement for further binary redistribution.
 * 3. Neither the names of the above-listed copyright holders nor the names
 *    of any contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
 *    from this software without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * Alternatively, this software may be distributed under the terms of the
 * GNU General Public License ("GPL") version 2 as published by the Free
 * Software Foundation.
 *
 * NO WARRANTY
 * ...

<--  snip  -->

We are talking about dual-licenced code, not about BSD licenced code
incorporated into GPL'ed code.

That other people can distribute the original dual-licenced code
dual-licenced or BSD-only, and that you can get the code under this
licences from there, is without a doubt. But *the author* allowed me to
choose the licence when *I distribute it*.

> DS

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.