* Tomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-09-19 14:02]:
> Watching the thread about startup script I thought of a question about
> shutdown script. Is it necessary to shutdown certain services when machine
> goes down? Like for example mysql, dovecot, clamav, amavis or openvpn. I've
> never saw anybody do that. Lots of people on their manuals, tutorials or
> posts writes how to start mysql, but none of then writes a shutdown script.
> So maybe it is not so necessary? (But then again, mysql is a database
> engine, and databases should be handle with care).

any software which requires special shutdown handling ist busted.

all processes get a SIGTERM on shutdown. the ones that need to do
cleanup before they exit need to install a signal handler for that (and
in general they do).

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de