Inspired by a recent post
 http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118999679514195
I was wondering if the participants in misc@openbsd.org would help me
brainstorm.  I want to give the operator group greater permissions than it
currently has, so that any member of the group can perform most of the
basic actions of a system administrator or desktop/laptop owner, without
resorting to sudo.

Of course, this is not without some risk, but the acid test I will use is:

 (1) Is permission to perform the action required by most desktop/laptop
owners and low-level system administrators during routine or everyday
work?
 (2) If "yes", then does permitting the operator group to perform this
action expose the system to no more risk than permitting the individual to
perform the action with sudo?

The idea is that if almost everybody is giving themselves these
permissions with sudo, then we might as well automatically grant these
permissions to members of the operator group.

The first thing on my wish-list is greater device access.  The operator
should have read/write access to many of the devices in /dev, especially
USB drives, tape drives, and CD drives.  This could be accomplished by
giving the devices operator ownership.  But which devices shouldn't the
operator have read/write access to?

And then there is CD/DVD burning.  What permissions does an operator need
to burn a CD or DVD (with cdrecord or growisofs) without logging in as
root?