Darren Spruell wrote:
At least in a traditional non-virtualized firewall model, the attacker
would have to pull out real exploits and attack real (secured)
services to compromise the firewall, and it wouldn't fall at the same
time as the other hosts.

Yes, these kinds of of flaws have (so far) been able to be patched, but

When I provided patch support for Solaris 10, the number of times that a patch would not add to the global zone, thus affecting all local zones on the host, was fairly common. This affected airlines, banks and oil companies that you have heard of......

I know an OS is different to a VM platform, but you are still relying on someone else to do their bit. And just because you have a lottery ticket worth of support contract does not mean that it will actually get patched in a timely manner, from experience....