Hi Sean,

While thinking about your post, you could most likely install an
alternative icq client by either looking on some websites, or perhaps
by taking a peek at the FreeBSD ports collection (in the ``net-im ''category).

As an alternative, maybe you could try compiling ``ysm`` ? [1]

Regards,

Etienne

1. http://ysmv7.sourceforge.net/

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:05:57 -0500
Sean Darby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if my message (below) went through, it didn't seem to post.
> Attempting again. Sorry if duplicated.
>
> Subject: Instant Messenger (CLI-based multi-protocol)
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been wanting to switch from a GUI "meta"-type chat (uses Yahoo, AIM,
> etc.) to terminal/CLI-based. I came across "centericq" (apparently it works
> with multiple protocols) though when trying to install it I get...
>
> $ sudo make
> ===>  centericq-4.9.11p0 is marked as broken: requires update but new version
> has issues.
>
> I'm not a computer guru... don't really know how to resolve that issue.
>
> I'm running OpenBSD 4.1 and that install attempt was straight out of 4.1's
> unaltered ports tree.
>
> ( /usr/ports/net/centericq )
>
> I'm wondering if I have somehow messed up my ports (not sure how, I set them
> up exactly as instructed) :( or perhaps the actual application in the 4.1
> ports just comes like that, "broken". I hope not.
>
> Is there a better program out there somewhere that is CLI-based for using
> chat with Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, IRC, and Jabber?
>
> (Or is there a way to get "centericq" to install/work?)
>
> Better yet... one with encryption options?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Sean
iEYEARECAAYFAkb10BgACgkQdXKAffkXj4OmJACfaknkLBCrddLcPYGxigkCwngX
hsQAn0aTylIk5Z9OFQQee1tsbGUxvSnr
=yFMI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----