Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> I currently have OBSD running on my P-II with an 850 MB drive and 64 MB
> ram.  On install, I chose not to include the compiler set over concern
> re drive space.  The FAQ says how much space is required to minimally
> run OBSD and it says how much to be able to comfortably compile ("4G is
> not a bad size").
>
> It may not be "bad" but what is the absolute minimum size of hard drive
> for an i386 to be able to recompile any necessary patches itself?

Thou shall start at Four Gig, perhaps more, no less.
Four gig shall be the number thou shall need to be able to store, and
the number of the Gig be Four.
More thou mayest have, but three gig thou shall not store, excepting
that thou then proceed to fill four.
Two Gig is right out.

4G.
If you want to build X, better make that 6G.

COULD you do it in less?  Probably.  But not much less.

Last weekend, I saw brand-new 8G IDE disks for sale for $9US ea.

The ONLY excuse trying to cram into smaller disks is if you have an old
SCSI-based system, as large-enough narrow SCSI disks are getting hard
to come by.  Even there, I recently hit the jackpot, having discovered
that a number of 9G and 36G SCA disks I have have a jumper that allows
them to work on (at least) my mac68k with a suitable adapter.  Now, to
get some more of those adapters...and fans.  Seems mac68ks weren't
intended to have enough air flow to keep a 36G 10k disk happy for more
than a (very) few hours.

yes, the 36G drive, being naughty in the Mac's site, snuffed it.

Nick.