On 2007/09/26 13:50, rezidue wrote:

> >    Order a 4.2 CD and install it as soon as you get it. 4.2 removed many
> >    bottlenecks in the network stack. In the meanwhile check out for the ip
> >    ifq len:
> >    # sysctl net.inet.ip.ifq
> >    net.inet.ip.ifq.len=0
> >    net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=256
> >    net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=0
>
> >    I bet your drops are non 0 and the maxlen is to small (256 is a better
> >    value for gigabit firewalls/routers).
> >    --
> >    :wq Claudio
>
> I've gone through the 4.1 and 4.2 changes in hopes I would find some clear
> reason as to why I'm having these issues but I've not seen anything.

At the last hackathon, there was a lot of work done on profiling and
optimizing the path through the network stack/PF; you'll see more about
this at http://www.openbsd.org/papers/cuug2007/mgp00012.html (and the
following pages).

> What exactly is this queue?  The odd thing is that I report a negative
> value for drops and it's counting down.

The -ve is because it's a signed integer and has, on your system,
exceeded the maximum value since bootup..

> net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=-1381027346
> I've put maxlen=256 and it seems to have slowed the count down.

You might like to try bumping it up until it stops increasing (uh,
decreasing. :-) And re-investigate when you get 4.2 (or make any other
changes to the system).