In recent weeks I have seen a number of spam attempts to servers we host
that should never see them. More concisely, people are trying to send
spam by connecting to port 25 on our web servers. These connections die
on their arse because we don't allow 25 inbound to anything but our mail
servers, but it strikes me that such connections could be a good source
of data on who to block in spamd.

I can easily put together a pf table of some servers that should never
see connections to port 25, and redirect them to our spamd instances,
but my questions are these:

How should I make spamd recognise that these attempts are phony, and
instantly blacklist/tarpit them? -b appears to still have to check a
list, I want something more like greytrapping.

Should I be running a separate spamd instance on a different port for
this, or can it all be done with cunning configuration of the standard one?

If I run two spamd instances, my standard one and my honeytrap one, and
they look at and manipulate the same /var/run/spamdb, will it all go
Horribly Wrong? I suspect not, as spamlogd manipulates it at the same
time, but I think that might be over a sock, and hence kept safe that way.

Have I missed some reason why this is a Really Dumb Idea(tm)?

I think it bears mention that our spamd stuff is currently on a 4.0 box,
but I'm making plans for when we re-build with 4.2, so answers would be
best based on 4.2 functionality.

Thanks for any and all responses, even if they're "No! You fool!" :-)

--

Richard 'Dave' Wilson
Systems Administrator

Senokian Solutions Ltd.