Calomel wrote:

> If you really want to check the drive and verify it has
> errors then check
> out the binary called badblocks. I do not believe OpenBSD has
> badblocks but
> you can use the cd distro "system rescue cd" and run
> badblocks from there
> without removing the drive from the current machine.
>
> NON-destructive BadBlock test (1gig ram in machine)
>       badblocks -b 4096 -c 98304 -p 0 -s /dev/hda
>
> For a more detailed explanation http://calomel.org/badblocks_wipe.html

After spending (most of) the weekend recovering a failed drive (XP),
there's a few things about disks that are worth knowing.
(ALSO READ ANY AND ALL BY NICK HOLLAND! -- He knows whereof)
With a rescue CD
(Don't use Windows without one)
(OpenBSD's purpose in life is NOT rescuing Windows computers)
ONE (only one) sector was "unreadable" (irrecoverable)
A good disk cloned from bad-disk was very unusable.
Running destructive badblocks showed that the disk had no errors.

Until the disk further degrades, it will test out good.
That disk is "reserved" with a "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" tag.

If things work the way I think they work,
the "non-destructive" read test will actually destroy ALL
ability to tell that the disks had (past tense) errors.
(remapping bad sectors)

(This oughta be off-list, but where else can you get good info ;-)
There's people on this list who actually know what I'm trying to talk about.