On 10/6/07, Nick Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/6/07, Karl SjC6dahl - dunceor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 10/6/07, Nick Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I've got me a macbook and I'm figuring out how to install OpenBSD on
> > > it (I'm going to see if I can do it without BootCamp, appearently it's
> > > possible: http://refit.sourceforge.net/myths/). One of my friends
> > > mentioned "too bad about the evil" to me and so I started digging into
> > > one of the evils: Trusted Computing. How do I find out if this mac has
> > > a TPM chip? Apple is never open about this fact.
> > >
> > > This page
> > > <http://attivissimo.blogspot.com/2006/04/trusted-computing-chips-found-in-intel.html>
> > > reports that some macs have them and some don't. It also says that in
> > > linux you can check `ioreg` for mentions of TPM.
> > >
> > > What would the equivalent method in OpenBSD? Would the chip show up in
> > > dmesg? Here's one dmesg
> > > http://erdelynet.com/tech/openbsd/openbsd-on-intel-mac-mini/ and I
> > > don't see anything that looks like a TPM chip but I'm not sure what
> > > all the devices are.
> > >
> > > If I can't know for sure from software I plan on cracking the case and
> > > searching for one physically anyway.
> > >
> > > -Nick
> > >

> > I have a Macbook 2,1 that I run OpenBSD exclusively on. No Boot camp
> > or anything special. Just OpenBSD as it is.
>
> ooh, first: thanks for your quick response.
>
> What *is* BootCamp? I know it's mostly just repartitioning software
> but the readme that comes with it seems to imply that it install
> certain special drivers to let you use the mac keyboard under windows
> (i.e. Mac-Click is mapped to right click, and so on).
> Although I guess those would just be those Windows drivers, wouldn't they...

Boot camp is both a tool to handle dual boot of operating systems but
it also provide drivers for the apple hardware so Windows can use it.

> > There are a few things you need to know before you install. You will
> > need acpi and you will need an external USB-keyboard during
> > installization.
>
> Why do you need acpi? I did read that and I did make myself an
> acpi-enabled kernel that I can boot from if I choose (though really I
> could just do drop into config from boot>, right?) but the default is
> to boot the normal i386/bsd.rd and when I let it do that it boots fine
> and gets to the install prompt. What's the problem?

Ok then it has started to get better because in the beginning I
couldn't even get to the install prompt because it hang on some usb
controller. ACPI is needed to get some of the drivers to work
correctly. And yes enable it in ukc is enough.

> I did indeed run into the problem of the keyboard not working during
> install. Why is that? Is the ramdisk kernel just missing some drivers?
>
> > I use AMD64 and GENERIC.MP.
>
> Is there an advantage to AMD64 over i386? My default was to grab i386
> but I'm not particularly tied to it.

Well the new Intel Core 2 Duo are Intels version of AMD64 and there
fore the closest thing you should use. You could use i386 also and
there might not be that much difference. I have only tried AMD64.

> > I did some googling about TPM in macbook and newer Apple hardware and
> > it seems like there isn't one.
> > http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter10/tpm/
> mm I found this one too, it's linked at the end of the link I gave.
>
> > http://www.tuaw.com/2006/11/02/apple-drops-trusted-computing/
> This just references the link I gave.
>
> Still, TPM needs software to run it. It would be a very strange move
> for Apple to somehow hide the TPM from anything besides OS X. I'm
> settled.
>

> > Both these links say newer Apple hardware does not contain it, they
> > only mention Mac Pro and Macbook Pro's though.
>
> I only have a Macbook. Maybe they big-brother anyone who doesn't shell
> out enough (;))?
>
> > There are still a few problems with the macbook, I'm trying to write a
> > driver for Apple system Management Controller, it's not going that
> > good but I should have it working soon. There is a few other problems
> > like bluetooth, iSight camera, IR. Sound is working and trackpad is
> > working.
>
> Oh sweet, that's really nice.
> Related but off topic question: How do I get right-clicking working?
> Do I have to play with X keymaps? I've poked at this from playing on
> zaurus, but I don't really understand it. Links please?
> I'm guessing there's nothing like Appletouch
> <http://www.popies.net/atp/> in OpenBSD right?

I haven't got the right click to work, I do not know if it's possible
to do. It is one of the annoying stuff at the moment and I use an
external USB mouse. I also have problems with the swedish keyboard
layout because {,[ ,] ,} are existing and this is annoying when you
code =) That Appletouch driver you linked to looked old and it's only
for Powerbooks. I know the FreeBSD people has done some work on it so
maybe I can port that later also.

> The SMC controls low-level power functions. Does it do that on its
> own? (i.e. if I sleep while under OpenBSD does the light still
> snore?). Would your driver just instruct the SMC, or actually run it?

Well sleep and such does not work very well in OpenBSD. The screens
turns black after a while but the backlight seems to still be on. This
is controlled by ASMC. The hardware still work in most cases but there
is no way for us to controll it at the moment as the driver could
enable us to.

BR
dunceor