Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

Why is this?  Is there a security reason why the kernel is
single-thread; is it OBSD resource limitations (no developer time, no
hardware, etc); is it not enough interest yet?

With interface speeds and bus bandwidth going up, how many interfaces is
it possible to handle at full interface bandwidth on the fastest UP CPU
and how much memory does that take?

Even more offtopic - on Linux I saw there's a kernel thread for each interface. Interestingly, while routing 1 Gbps of traffic through the system (just a single download of a huge file over HTTP), on Linux kernel 2.6.18 both kernel threads are at 35% CPU usage, while on OpenBSD 4.1 the single kernel thread is at 70...80%. Maybe a coincidence, maybe the numbers don't usually translate linearly like that, I don't know.

I like pf, it's a really clever firewall, that's why I'll keep testing with 4.2

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/