I've been evaluating OpenBSD as a desktop system while learning about it
on my lesser (older) hardware.  I've learned a lot and will continue to
learn about OpenBSD but I don't think it will work as my primary
desktop.

Based on what I've learned here on Misc, I'd like to start a discussion
about extending the answer to the OpenBSD FAQ # 1.10: "Can I use OpenBSD
as a Desktop System?"  While of course every potential new user has to
evaluate OpenBSD for themselves, we could and I believe we should point
out some of the more common tripping points found by people who end up
not choosing OpenBSD for their desktop.

As it exists right now it reads:

# >8--

This question is often asked in exactly this manner -- with no
explanation of what the asker means by "desktop".  The only person who
can answer that question is you, as it depends on what your needs and
expectations are.

While OpenBSD has a great reputation as a "server" operating system,
it can be and is used on the desktop.  Many "desktop" applications are
available through packages and ports.  As with all operating systems
decisions, the question is:  can it do the job you desire in the way
you wish?  You must answer this question for yourself.

It might be worth noting that a large amount of OpenBSD development is
done on laptops.

# >8--

I think the following paragraphs would enhance the FAQ to provide
the person new to the OpenBSD focus a heads up on some of the
difficulties.

# >8--
However, it is also worth noting that some desktop needs and uses are
incompatible with the focus of OBSD.  There are currently no video cards
that provide full specs to create open drivers for all hardware
function, most notibly 3D accelleration.  While more than adequate for
most uses of the X-Window system, performance while watching movies,
playing games, or graphic design, may be suboptimal or not possible
depending on your hardware and expectations.  The use of binary "blob"
drivers would introduce the potential for unknown security breaches and
is not going to be supported on OpenBSD.  The work is ongoing in the
larger open-source community to both create open-source drivers that can
access the full hardware potential of the video cards that are
available, and there is some work to create new video cards that will be
fully open and high performance.  It just doesn't exist yet.

Similarily, flash plugins in browsers cause untested code to run on the
computer and introduce the potential for unknown security breaches, and
are therefore not supported, other than as it already exists for the Opera
browser.

It depends therefor on what is meant by "desktop".  System
administrators will likely be thrilled with OpenBSD on their desktop.
However, a home user wanting an entertainment centre, a movie editor, a
graphic designer, or a user requiring a multi-headed Computer Aided
Drafting and Design system may find the tradeoffs made for security are
too steep to use OpenBSD as their operating system on such computers and
may choose to use a less secure operating system.

# >8--

Does this seem like a fair addition?

Doug.