Joachim Schipper wrote:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 08:54:42PM +0200, Xavier Mertens wrote:
Hi *,

I'm busy with a systrace/stsh implementation but there is a lack of standard
policies (IMHO). Any idea where I can find some ready-to-use policies?

I must be missing some important ones, when the user logs in, he got immediately
the following error:

systrace: getcwd: Permission denied

You should probably do a Google search on systrace before continuing
further down this road. In particular, I believe the issue highlighted
by Robert Watson has not been fixed yet (although I could be wrong, and
would be happy to be wrong in this case).

Otherwise, I seem to recall a repository of configurations called 'hairy
eyeball'. And the interactive policy generators (xsystrace for instance)
can be pretty useful, too.

                Joachim

I hope i'm not out of line changing the thread but this seemed like a good place to ask this question.

I'm fairly new to OpenBSD and have set up a few machines, nothing production, trying out configurations, rebuilding, patching etc. before i felt comfortable putting one in production. One thing I did read up on, where i could find it, was hardening beyond the default install. Two of the tools that most of the hardening articles i found, Securelevels and systrace, (the third one seems to be common sense), have now seemingly been rendered useless. I followed the huge thread on "why can't openbsd's securelevels be saved" and now this thread has alerted me to the fact that systrace is able to be circumvented. I also noticed that Joachim commented on both so I figured this for a good place for this topic. I'm wondering if there are other tools/ways besides these that I just haven't heard of to do similar things(hardening of the system) or if there is in effect no way to do the things that, these two tools, specifically systrace has historically handled(is there really a need in the first place?). I say specifically systrace because from the discussions i've been reading, the whole securelevel methodology, to the people that do the work on OpenBSD, is flawed. I'm not here to dispute or even to discuss that point, as currently I can't program (nor afford to hire people that can) so my likes and dislikes are moot. Like i say, i'm still relatively new to OpenBSD so I'm just looking for insight, I haven't used systrace in the past, and until about a week ago was working with securelevels but then found the aforementioned article. I had abandoned the securelevel method in light of the 'issue'(s)/false sense of security with securelevels and from the discussion had decided to pick up with systrace, until i saw this thread yesterday. Is it more common than not, to not worry as much about "hardening" the OS, via these methods, but rather just to make 'hopefully' wise decisions, install the least amount of software as you need, physical separations(i.e. logging to remote server instead of sappnd'ing your logs)(but what happens when after getting root on the system producing logs, the attacker proceeds to work towards your logging server?) and stay current w/at least the stable branch? I guess with all the hoopla about 'hardening'/trusted this and that/fuzzy knobs(i.e. SE Linux) i got a little overzealous looking for ways to tweak things (which i know can end up either making things less secure (especially with false sense of security) or just plain breaking them), but if there is/are acceptable, ways, I'd at least like to be aware of them and the scope of their use from the people that know OpenBSD best.

Thanks,

Aaron