> Some time ago I tried to submit a bug report through sendbug
 > but couldn't get it through. I didn't investigate much but IIRC
 > it was because the hostname of the box wasn't valid (missing MX records
 > or whatever) and the receiving smtp daemon discarded the message.

Standard anti-spam action these days.  The contents of /etc/myname had
better be a full qualified doman name that matches the address of the
box and the reverse DNS should point back to that name, too.  If it
doesn't then your mail will often be rejected.

That's assuming you're not getting your address from dhcp, of course.
If you get your address from your ISP via dhcp you'll have to find out
what your ISP needs to set the hostname to something of your liking.
Otherwise it is likely to be something like 206-45-94-138.static.mts.net
(someone currently stuck in my greytrap database :-)

// marc