Pawel Veselov wrote:
Hello,

I spent some time picking a relatively cheap printer that I can also use
with OpenBSD, and finally got a Brother HL-5250DN, that can connect over
ethernet and has duplex printing. I put together an instruction sheet at
http://manticore.2y.net/hl5250dn.html, if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
  Pawel.

Forgive me for saying this but I just do not get it. Why did you need to use Linux compatibility layer when CUPS is
OpenBSD packages?

cups-1.2.7.tgz

1. Install cups

2. Use the default cupsd.conf that came with the package

3. Ran the following two commands

/usr/local/sbin/cupsd -c /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
/usr/local/sbin/cups-enable

That is to hide native commands for lpd. Note lpd daemon is off by default anyway

4. Adjust permissions since the CUPS daemon is not supper user. (For example for my locally attached printer chmod 0666 /dev/lpt0 )

5. Start cups daemon

6. Go to http://localhost:631 for a printer administration

7. Rest is self explanatory. When directed to download PPD file go to http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
to get  the one you  need.

Why is your how to released under GPL license? Because of CUPS license?