knitti wrote:
On 10/19/07, Stephen Bosch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Other things I've tried:

- moving the Jetdirect to a different port on the same physical switch
- a variety of static and dynamic IPs in the subnet

I also forwarded the external port 9100 to this print server and tried
to access it from a public host, but this didn't work either.

This leads me to suspect a peculiar interaction between OpenBSD 4.1 and
this particular print server. Of course, it might well be the fault of
HP's IP stack, but I've already talked to them at great length and got
pretty much nowhere: "We don't support JetDirect over WAN connections."

look with tcpdump, whether the packets of the printserver look like you expect.
perhaps it only has a ttl of 1 or 2 ;-)

Yeah, I'm going to do some packet sniffing with tcpdump :)

The TTL is unlikely to be the cause as the printer works now that it is on the outside, and the remote site is 8 hops away... but the suggestions about MTU possibly causing trouble are worth investigating.

Anyway, I'll try tcpdump and see what it turns up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Cheers,

-Stephen-