* Beavis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-22 18:29]:
> hi folks,
>
>    I saw this performance issue with pf on a AMD64firewall: below is the link
>
> http://www.nabble.com/firewall-is-very-slow%2C-something%27s-wrong-t4572653i20.html
>
> it states that pf on 4.2 performs much better than in 4.1. having said
> this, is it possible to be able to just update pf's feature instead of
> going through the entire OS upgrade? since im really going after the
> features of pf, and happy with how 4.1 is.
>

> any comments are awesomely appreciated.

yes, excellent idea, that is exactly what you should do! Instead of
doing teh boring, pretty riskless 10 minutes taking 4.2 upgrade everybody
could easily do, you should figure out which files are pf, update them,
figure out that the kernel doesn't build because of changes through the
network stack, patch for a week or two until you have a kernel that
builds, figure out pfctl, netstat and friends don't work, another
week...

a bit (about when these boring wackos that just upgrade install 4.3)
later when you have a kernel that boots and a userland that seems to
work with it, you have a totally unique system! nobody else is running
that!

ok, nobody else sees the crashes you do, but hey, they're all boring
wackos.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de