[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> all,
>
> I'm happy to read whatever I need to, in order to get this system
> running.  I come before this list humbly.  Please don't flame my ass
> with RTFMs :)
>
> I have a new Dell Optiplex 745 with an Intel Core 2 Duo.
>
> this system completed the install.  Now on boot it hangs after:
> wskbd1:  connecting to wsdisplay0
>
> the only issue I had during install was that the on-board nic would
> not grab a dhcp address - but the pci nic did.
>
> how can I troubleshoot this further?  I followed the FAQ for the
> install - and I've looked at the common issues after install.
>
> years ago I had an issue with a piece of hardware that I had to
> exclude.  but I don't recall how I got into that particular "sub
> system" to deactivate it.  Is there something I can do at the boot
> prompt?
>
> Humbly yours,
>
> Metajunkie

First, make sure you are trying a snapshot, not 4.1 or older.  If
you are using 4.2, still try a snapshot, a lot has happened since
4.2 already.  If that fixes your problem, you are done.  (the onboard
NIC problem is hinting to me that you are using an older version).

If that doesn't, the good news is since it installed with the bsd.rd
kernel but won't run GENERIC, it is probably just a matter of turning
the right device driver off.  GENERIC has more in it than bsd.rd does.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BootConfig  (see the next two
sections as well, which are also appropriate for you)

I don't recall if I ever installed OpenBSD on a 745.  Certainly did
a fair amount with a 620 (which worked fine).

Nick.