thanks everyone.

I got into kernel mode with the /bsd -c boot

I saw in the dmsg that was residual on the failing boot screen that :

uhci1: host controller halted

I disabled uhci* while in kernel mode - and on exit from kernel mode,
the system booted without error.

However this device only has usb keyboard - and that is not working.

maybe this is fixed in the snapshots you all are talking about - I've
never worked with them - only stable.  looks like that is where my
adventure heads, unless someone knows about this uhci* thing and a way
to "fix" the usb.

In the mean time - I ssh'd into the system :)

(maybe I can sell this notion of no keyboard as a security feature :)

meta-junkie

--
010101010101010101010101010101010
010101010101010101010101010101010