On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 12:04 +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Claudio Jeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-22 08:17]:
> > Fragment Reassembly does not happen in the forwarding plane, it happens on
> > the end system. By doing "flow" based forwarding on the router you're no
> > longer able to do all the additional checks that pf(4) is doing in its
> > stateful forwarding path.
>
> and we don't actually need these on a non-edge router. I'd go so far
> to say they hurt in that case.

I agree.

Just to confirm... you do not encourage the use of fragment reassembly
at forwarding points other than the network periphery?

We recently ran into some intermittent TCP connection stalls in a
network where end point systems were behind as many a three PF systems
end-point to end-point.  "pfctl -x loud" had a direct correlation to the
stalls and reassemble debug activity output.

We didn't debug it too much because there was a mix of 3.7, 3.9, and 4.1
systems and we wanted to standardize on 4.2 before filing any
superfluous bug reports.

~BAS