On Saturday 27 October 2007, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:
> I don't think he's asking for a solution to his problems but whether
> openbsd also has such a problem... which I don't think... but I don't
> have arguments

Hey, I'm sure you are totally right! It just struck me a bit silly sounding,
and since he's a self proclaimed newbee, and me being willing to
constructively help others, I thought it be good to know that there's a
simple way around the issue.

I never ran into it, mostly because I don't really like to have to deal with
typical laptop issues, and so my laptop mostly collects dust on a shelf.

Then blanket generalities like Linux kills laptops seems too far fetched
whatever you feel about Linux, or any other O/S. It did not strike me as a
very informed comment. More like what a reporter would say.

I love both Linux and OpenBSD and I also hate them. That's to say there are
things that drive me batty about both and things that I would not want to be
without. I saw the new MAC the other day and for the few minutes I spent on
it it came across as a very slick user interface.

The point being that not having in depth familiarity with things _can_ give
you an overall wrong impression. I don't care one iota what he uses, but as a
techie I give people information so that they can make better decisions.

My hat, if you want, is to give them viable solutions to problems. Then they
can make the policy of which way to go without having to know all about it.

The same applies to our friend here who might never look at whatever O/S's he
might have left behind him.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin