On Friday 02 November 2007 13:42:33 Dorian B|ttner wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2007 13:07:54 Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 12:42:29PM +0100, Dorian B?ttner wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 31 October 2007 22:22:15 Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Sorry for hijacking this thread, propably anyone has a quick hint to
> > > make my audio work in kde.
> > >
> > > Built /usr/src/regress/sys/dev/audio/obj as described here
> > > http://www.nabble.com/NVIDIA-MCP51-HD-Audio-azalia-problems-t4629307.ht
> > >ml and autest -r 48000 delivers good quality tone.
> > >
> > > relevant dmesg seems to be this one:
> > > azalia0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0 "Intel 82801GB HD Audio" rev 0x02:
> > > apic 2 int
> > > 21 (irq 10)
> > > azalia0: host: High Definition Audio rev. 1.0
> > > azalia0: codec: Realtek/0x0862 (rev. 0.1), HDA version 1.0
> > > azalia0: codec: Motorola/0x3055 (rev. 7.0), HDA version 1.0
> > > azalia0: codec[1]: No support for modem function groups
> > > azalia0: codec[1]: No audio function groups
> > > audio0 at azalia0
> > >
> > > However this doesn't seem to be a driver problem since autest passed
> > > with success. It's just that kde doesn't detect the device, where can I
> > > look at to nail down the problem? pkg_info contains either esound and
> > > arts.
> >
> > is artsd running?
> >
> > $ pgrep -l artsd
>
> 2299 artsd
>
> > is the audio device opened for playback?
> >
> > $ audioctl play.open
>
> play.open=0
> seems not to be 'yes'? it is read-only variable.
>
> > is it actuall artsd that has /dev/sound opened?  (artsd uses /dev/sound
> > instead of /dev/audio)
> >
> > $ fstat /dev/sound
>
> empty table
>
> > if all those are yes, then see if it works:
> >
> > $ artscat file.wav
> >
> > oh, and since you have azalia, you may need to tell artsd to resample
> > to 48kHz.  K Menu -> Settings -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Sound System
> > In the Hardware tab.  Check "Use custom sampling rate", set it to
> > 48000 Hz.  or manually starts artsd with 'artsd -r 48000'.
>
> done, but didn't help. Shouldn't artsd appear in the list of available
> soundsystems, btw?
>
> THanks,
> Dorian

ok I removed the auto-suspend checkbox in the control center audio settings.
After restarting the system I now have better values:
$ audioctl play.rate
play.rate=48000
$ audioctl play.open
play.open=1
$ artscat testcase.wav
plays fine :)) however kde doesn't. There seems to be the glue missing between
the artsd and the kde sound system?