Hi,

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:24:44PM +0100, manuel wrote:
*snip*
> But I do have one question: is it  possible to operate an modem
> (miniPCI or USB; it might be off-list,  but: can anybody recommend
> one?) as an answering machine?
Probably not, PCI and recent USB modems tend to involve binary blobs.
However, I have an external modem (from TeleWell, a Finnish brand of
modems and other telecom devices) that has RS232, USB (which is just an
USB-RS232 bridge) and mic/headset connectors - finding an external one
with those would probably allow you to connect a sound card and end up
with a blob free answering machine. At least on Windows the modems show
up as sound cards, so I'd guess *nix software should be able to speak to
a sound card hooked up to the modem, too. Just beware of software
modems, ones with a serial port (and maybe a USB-serial dongle) are the
best bet. Used 56k modems should be available cheaply, anyway...

--
Jussi Peltola