man 8 daily
etc/daily
     This script is run daily.  It currently does the following:
Creates a backup root file system which is updated daily.  This only
         happens if the following conditions are met:

               1.   The environment variable ROOTBACKUP must be set.  For ex-
                    ample, the following can be added to root's crontab(5):

                          ROOTBACKUP=1

               2.   The mount directory /altroot must exist, and there must be
                    an /etc/fstab entry specifying `xx' for the mount options,
                    e.g.

                          /dev/wd0j /altroot ffs xx 0 0
Thanks,
Josh