On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:17:46AM -0700, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> During upgrading between 4.1 and 4.2 I accidentally typed rm -rf /etc instead
> of rm -rf etc in the /tmp directory.
>
> After fixing couple of vital things I continued normally with the upgrade,
> unpacking the etc42.tgz and xetc42.tgz and reinstalling couple of programs
> so that their /etc/ files are regenerated. I also did the post-installation
> stuff from the "Installing 4.2" chapters.
>
> I got an idea that I could run the install process and somehow skip the
> initial
> part but it always told me it's going to destroy all data on the disk and then
> I said no and it returned into the shell.
>
> Is there some way how I can re-generate the missing /etc files? I guess the
> permissions matter for security and some files are probably machine generated.
>
> I don't see any problem at the moment but maybe it's just like a time bomb
> there?
>
> CL<

Beside what other have said, I'll add:

The daily security script keeps backup of most files in /etc in
/var/backups. If it haven't been more than a day, you can recover
a lot.

The install scripts mostly creates
/etc/{myname,mygate,hostname.*,hosts,fstab}, modify /etc/sysctl.conf.
There might be more but I forgot right now.

--
Hugo Villeneuve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://EINTR.net/