On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:15:07AM +0000, Craig Skinner wrote:

> > Looks like DM111 offers PPPoE/PPPoA "bridge" modes which sound like
> > what some other boxes refer to as "half-bridge" or "DHCP spoofing",
> > and also standard RFC1483 bridging.
>
> I had a DLink like this for a while, worked fine when I set it to PPPoA
> (the usual for non-USA ADSL) bridge & DHCP on the client.
>
> Sounds stupid, but the router's WAN IP gets passed through to the PC via
> DHCP so you get the static address that the ISP issues to the router and
> the router becomes invisable to the Internet as your box has the
> routable IP on its NIC.

That's how I've used the last 2 ADSL modems I've had - both Westells.  I
put them in PPPoE bridging mode such that the modem passes the packets to
my obsd box, which then gets assigned an IP address via DHCP.  Works great.
A bit of a pain sometimes if you're having upstream network issues and
have to haggle with the telco support drone about what kind of "router
you're using".   Then, config pppd accordingly with user/pass from your
ISP.  It's a cinch with obsd and pf also works great.  I've been using
"ipcheck" to reconfig my A record with dyndns upon a change of IP with
mixed success; sometimes I have to go do it manually.

The default gateway assigned via DHCP with the two different ISPs I've done
this with have been in the 10.* range.