On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 11:03:31AM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> So your problem seems to be that rsync -S is inefficient to the point
> where it is not useable.  I do not use rsync a lot, so I do not know
> if there's a solution to that problem. It does seem strange that a
> feature to solve a problem actually make the problem worse.

Anything is inefficient in that case.

Just create a huge dummy file:

$ dd if=/dev/null seek=1m bs=1m of=file

Then copy it (with cp, or any sparse-file aware program) to another
filesystem. Watch how much time and power it takes to copy nothing
from one place to another.

Any way to obtain a 'map' of the file that tell you exactly where the
written sectors are would make for a BIG improvement.

You can't do that on OpenBSD without raw low-level fs hacks and
reinventing half of dump(8) and fsck(8).

Adi