On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:31:13 -0500, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

>Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> I tried making a very sparse file (100 MB data, 1000 GB sparseness) and
>> gave up trying to compress it.  gzip has to process the whole thing,
>> sparseness and all.  Sure it would probably end up with a very small
>> file, but the whole thing has to be processed.
>
>Yes it does and I am not sure anyone said it would be less work. I sure
>didn't and yes it needs to be process and I demonstrated it with the
>time it takes to rsync with a sparse file and without. In my test, 45+
>minutes oppose to 17 seconds.
>
>> I imagine that its no less time than that which rsync takes to process.
>> Rsync takes lots of time and computation but saves on bandwidth.
>
>Yes it is a lots of processing to do it and lots of time wasted and lots
>of CPU power wasted and if you don't use the -S in case of rsync, you
>can't even sync it if the space on the destination is not the size of
>the sparse file, not the real data part.
>
>The short of it is that sparse file are a good thing when you don't have
>to copy them across file system on different servers in witch case, it's
>a way different ball game.
>
>It's been interesting learning and testing anyway.
>
>Hopefully it was useful to others, if not, it was to me anyway.
>
>Best,
>
>Daniel

Daniel,
it is more years than I care to calculate since I last did anything
with sparse files. Certainly it was before any of today's *BSD tribe.

What has not been addressed here is the question of what created those
files. It isn't something you do with a shell script usually.

So if you have, just as an example, a database program that does make
such a file it is often possible to dump the database in such a way as
to load it into another instance. Maybe a remote replication is
possible.

So, what evil little daemon do you have toiling away making TB files
that only use 2k (joke!) and, is it not possible to teach the little
bastard how to reconstruct its data on another drive?

Rod/
/earth: write failed, file system is full
cp: /earth/creatures: No space left on device