On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:04:53AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2007 7:46 PM, Marco Peereboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 04:32:58AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> > > Thank you so much
> > >

> > Most of your questions are around rebuild or derivatives.  This does not
> > exist yet.  My current push is to get softraid working on all arches so
> > that it could get re-enabled.  The rebuild stuff comes after that.
> >

> Thank you so much Marco for the detailed reply.
>
> Just one more quick question please :-)
>
> One all the features in your mind has been implemented to softraid
> will it make RAIDFRAME redundant?

RAIDFRAME for all its quirks and uglies still does way more than
softraid.  I'll be one happy man if we get to a stage that we can
replace it.  Besides this we'll have to make sure we are not screwing
users of RAIDFRAME out there.

>  Though I love and use RAIDFRAME and have overcome the initial qualms
> of rebuilding the kernel from source after doing it a number of times
> now I think it will still be great if Software RAID can be implemented
> without having to re compile the kernel.
> I know I cannot escape recompiling the kernel because it is necessary
> for updates. But as far as possible I would like to stay away from it
> on production machines :-)

As far as I know I have one bug remaining that needs fixing.  Sometimes
at shutdown time one of the metadata updates does not make it onto a
disk and on the subsequent reboot the disk is not auto-assembled like it
should.

The other thing I really need is to make dead sure that there are no
booting issues on ANY platform.

Once I am passed these two issues I can move forward into the realm that
is rebuilds and derivatives.