On 10:26:22 Nov 20, Alexander Hall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm just curious how come it its possible to start (and run) cwm at the
> same time as running fvwm (from base). AFAIK a window manager normally
> cannot (or refuses to) run if another window manager is already in use.

Correct.

> Is this only a courtsey from the second window manager? I thought there
> were limitations in X that forced this behaviour.

It works at the X level. Only one program can take control of the root
window and decide window placements, receive events etc.

That X client has special status and is called as window manager.

> Anyway, I'd expect cwm to behave that way, too, but please feel free to
> explain to me why I'm wrong.

I dunno about cwm (never used it ) but if you use the Xnest program you
can run any number of X servers  and consequently
 run a different window manager in each.

$ export DISPLAY=host:display:screen

In the case of Xnest, it is yet another X client but it also acts as a X
server. So it runs as a normal X client inside which you can run any
window manager of your choice.

The other method is running Xserver on different virtual terminals as
mentioned in the reply to this post.

# X :n

or even

$ startx -- :n

> I also meant to ask about key bindings, but after finding a new part in
> the man pages, I realize I have to test a few things first. (Yes, it was
> quite a while since I last had a look at cwm) :-)

You can use a tool called XBindKeys.

http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

I faintly remember that it compiled and worked fine for OpenBSD.

Best,
Girish