On 11/20/07, Andris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have read about formal verification, and it sounds like a
> perfect tool to outreach the project goals. I'm pretty sure developers
> know about it, so I'd like to read comments or opinions.

Some Z links:

The original de facto manual, outdated but still very useful and readable:
http://spivey.oriel.ox.ac.uk/mike/zrm/index.html

Jacky's book is excellent, but not free.

ISO Spec (note the small print, which contains a link to the free
download):
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumb
er=21573

Actually the easy way to do this is:
http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/mobileink/Z

I'm digging around at http://vl.zuser.org/#tools and I find many of
the free tools are a) written in Java, and b) GPL licensed.  So
there's a good OBSD project, implement some Z tools. ;)

However, HOL, which is used by some Z tools, is BSD licensed:
http://hol.sourceforge.net/  As is the Glasgow Haskell Compiler.

Anyway, the main practical benefit of Z for OBSD would probably be
e.g. for documenting NICs or the like.  Formal specification,
validation, etc. for e.g. cryptographic stuff would be great, but also
a huge amount of work.  Even then, if the implementation language is
C, then the code will be beyond formal analysis; you'd have to use an
implementation language that supports formal reasoning, like haskell.
Not to mention, you'd have to prove that your compiler works
correctly.

-gregg