On 2007/11/22 22:32, Erik Wikstrvm wrote:
> Since the wireless card in my current router has stopped working I'm
> taking the opportunity to make a major upgrade. Unfortunately the
> computer I'm replacing it with only have one PCI-slot which I'll need
> for the wired network. So I will need to use an USB adapter for the
> wireless network and was wondering what people would recommend. I'm
> hoping to be able to connect the computer in the garage so one with good
> signal strength but not a directed one would be the best.

I don't think any of the USB wireless adapters support automatic
transmit speed control for hostap, and antenna connection is always
a problem if you want a good signal. I don't think the USB options
are a particularly good choice for a full-time AP.

Possibly controversial but I think it might work better with the
wired ethernet on USB (url worked well for me, the aue I have wasn't
so good), wireless on PCI (I had best success with wi and acx for
hostap).