L wrote:
> When I reply to the group.. it puts the person's address and the groups
> address in TO/CC fields.
>
> Is it possible for the server to just send mail to the TO field to the
> group only, and not have a CC ?

anything is possible...
Not going to happen, however. :)

> Is this on purpose, so that incase the list is ever down, the person
> gets the mail anyway?

eh, no.  Though that may be a semi-valid additional reason.

> On my mailing lists that I manage I always turn this option off.. so
> that anyone who replies to the list only replies to the list but not the
> actual person too.
> Not a big deal, just wondering if this is by design and on purpose

Sometimes, people WISH to make a private reply, and may say things
they don't wish to go to the list.

* IF you intend to make a public reply and it goes to the original
sender by accident, absolutely no harm done.

* IF you intend to make a private reply and it goes to the list by
accident, considerable embarrassment might be the result.

SO, the current config is the "safe by default" way to do things.
Worst case, you re-send a message, and one person gets two responses.

Personally, I just always hit "reply", and then change the destination
address.  Before you say "That's too much work!", take a look at how
many messages you post, and how many I post, and figure out if you
think I have ANY sympathy at all for that comment. :)

I also have no objection if someone puts my name in the cc:/to: list,
I've got my mailer set to sort list mail into separate piles, but
stuff explicitly to me ends up in my regular inbox.  If you want to
make sure I see your message, go for it (I check my inbox before
list mail).  Granted, when a discussion has long left my interest
and people still leave me on the cc list, it's a tad annoying, but
I sure don't let it ruin my day.

I do occasionally use the "group reply" function, usually if someone
appears to be in a time-critical situation (or maybe if they just
received a bit of bad advice from someone else), or if they have tried
to raise a stink about getting two copies of a response (do that, I'll
make sure you get two copies from me! :).  Sometimes, the direct
response is faster, sometimes the mailing list is faster (if the
recipient is using greylisting, for example).

A further arguement:

Nick.