On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:41:27PM -0600, Ken Ismert wrote:
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
>
> > Offering something to someone as "free" with one hand, while taking back
> > rights with the other is not free. BSD/MIT/ISC licenses retain a very
> > minimal set of rights to the original author(s), and give away
> > everything else. Whatever the merits of ISC v. GPL, there's really no
> > debate on which is more free.
>
> Debate is inevitable: freedom is difficult to define. An individual's
> concept of freedom depends on their priorities and ideals. There just
> isn't one license that can meet everyone's requirements, or agree with
> everyone's ideology.

No, I'm not talking about "what Freedom means to me." Freedom isn't
difficult to define. Just look it up in a dictionary. BSD/MIT/ISC
licenses are more Free than GPL. There's nothing to debate about that.
It's just the way things are.

> The real value in these discussions for me lies in exploring what freedoms
> each license protects, and how they enhance the public good. Even stepping
> on each other's toes is good in a way: it means free speech is happening.

If you stop saying "free" and "freedoms" and find a more accurate word I
think your meaning will come through better.

> In the end, I see licenses as tools, not dogma. As such, I refuse to
> be converted to either side. I can't be more even-handed than that.

You are correct. They are tools, and should be used as such. After
having discussions with some people I have seen them *correctly* pick
GPL, since it has the effects they desire. And, I've also seen people
pick a BSD license even though they are GNU/Linux users. Good, in both
cases, since the license represented their views.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/