On 12-Dec-07, at 8:49 PM, bofh wrote:

On Dec 12, 2007 10:42 PM, Greg Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
For the archives I think you mean an HL-5250DN.

yes es, oops :)

-- http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk
"This officer's men seem to follow him merely out of idle curiosity."
-- Sandhurst officer cadet evaluation.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or
internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks
factory where smoking on the job is permitted."  -- Gene Spafford
learn french:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1G-3laJJP0&feature=related

I have to agree on the warning regarding these printers.

Our corporate structure includes a few Redhat (RHEL) servers from another (internal) corporate entity that prints postscript to devices on my network using HPs port 9100 setup.

For sake of convenience, it was always easier for me to just buy HP. I was happy with the printers, 9100 was always enabled by default and the world was right.

I have a mix of HP models depending on purchase date - 1300n, 1320n, etc. Also had about 10 HP 2015s that were working FINE...

...until they upgraded their server to the most recent Redhat/Linux kernel. Forgive me for not knowing (caring) about which version, but the basics are that a Redhat upgrade on the server end left me with 10 useless printers that were blamed on either my networking skills or HP firmware.

It's nice to know that I'm not seeing things, as it was fairly obvious to me that the Redhat upgrade caused these printers to stop properly printing .ps files.

I had to run out and buy 10 Lexmarks just to keep offices running and ultimately eat the "hit" for equipment not functioning. Not to mention that nobody will believe that the Redhat upgrade caused the problem (even though it seems HP is ultimately at fault).

- visc