On 12/17/07, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Free Software as Richard Stallman uses the term is BSD.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Uh-huh.  Sure.  Whatever.  Zzzzz.

>From the above-mentioned url:  "In the GNU project, we use copyleft to
protect these freedoms legally for everyone."  That's all that matters
- lose the GPL (a legal instrument) and the rest is hot air and
hand-waving.

The point of my original post was to suggest language that cuts out
the hot air.  The GPL is only one example of covenanted software;
there are many similar legal instruments, and we are all free to write
and offer our own covenants.  There's nothing wrong with covenanted
software.  The problem is the claim that "freedom" is /only/ possible
via covenant licenses.  That's hot air based on a philosophy that
wouldn't last 10 seconds in a graduate-level seminar at a third-rate
university.

To put another way, Stallman's pitch is something like "Freedom
freedom blah blah, therefore GPL".  I prefer something more
straightforward like "use a convenant license if you want others to
give you something in return for your code; use a laissez-faire
license if you don't want anything in return; if you want instruction
on freedom, try Plato, Augustine, Hobbes, Hume, Rousseau, Jefferson,
Bentham, Austin, Hart, etc.  Stallman, if you really think he belongs
in that company."  Pretty simple.

The nice thing about OBSD is that in general it makes no grandiose
claims about the nature of freedom or "the community"  or "protecting
our freedoms" from various boogey-men.  The nice thing about the term
"laissez-faire" is that it derives directly from a long tradition of
political and economic thought that has made a major contribution to
the construction of societies whose citizens enjoy a great deal of
practical freedom.  You know, rule of law, private property, the right
to enter into contracts, personal privacy, little stuff like that.
That's where freedoms, rights, justice, etc. come from.  Neither the
GPL nor any other legal instrument has the power to affect those
things in any way.  The government is another story; had RMS spent
more time trying to bring sanity to the US laws governing IP instead
of pushing amateur philosophy he probably would have made a lot more
progress in expanding the "free software" space.

FWIW, I'm profoundly uninterested in debating the merits of your/rms'
notion of freedom.  I'm only posting to try to clarify my goal. You
can educate yourself, I don't have time to do it for you.  Start with
the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (online).  You might not like
it though.  You may find it necessary to think Real Hard to understand
such stuff.