I am having trouble with the current gnome interface.

A client has a bunch of files with names and contents
that include various high-bit chars.  Previously (4.1)
he was able to name files using these characters, but
now is unable to because the Gnome file browser gives
an error.

Is this because of (newly) reduced functionality in Xorg/Gnome
.. mebbe because of the EU's agreements on regularizing printed
materials?

Am I seeing a bug in Gnome/Xorg (the version is a 4.2 snap
from mid November)?

If one of these is not the case, where should I read to get
this to work?

Thanks,

Dhu