> but when i try to translate them into configure files, i run into a problem
 > with the hostname.gif file:

Not surprising as the hostname.xxx files do NOT use ifconfig syntax.
This seems to fool lots of people.   Do not look at the ifconfig
man page.   Look at the hostname.if man page where it states the
form for

     Regular IPv6 network setup:

           addr_family [alias] addr prefixlen options

 > but this one does not.
 >   inet6 alias 2001:470:1f04:16f::2 2001:470:1f04:16f::1 prefixlen 128 <-
 > this line fails

Because it doesn't follow the form.   The 4th param should be the
prefixlen, not the literal value "prefixlen".  You've tried to put
two different hostname.if commands into one bogus entry.  You want
this:

inet6 alias 2001:470:1f04:16f::2 128
dest 2001:470:1f04:16f::1

(assuming I didn't get the addresses backwords)

Example: my hostname.gif0 looks like this:

--------
tunnel 208.201.244.208 208.201.234.221
inet6 alias server-gif0 64
inet6 alias 2001:05a8:0:1::0123 128
dest 2001:05a8:0:1::0122
! route add -inet6 default ::1
! route change -inet6 default -ifp gif0
--------

where server-gif0 is an address from my /64 in /etc/hosts.

// marc