There are a small number of people that command respect in the IT industry
and as far as I know, Richard and Theo are two such people.  I am sure that
if people like you began to endorse open source hardware more people would
move in that direction.  I remember reading a quote from Sun about modern
hardware becoming more like software all the time which was why they decided
to release a processor as open source.  Even if this were not the case I
find it surprising to read you distinguish what should and should not be
classed as free (if one can kick it there is no need for it to be free).
What does it matter if a product is hardware or software as to my mind the
same principles apply in both cases.  What about the software that runs on a
given piece of hardware such as BIOS, etc.

A.