Just FYI about security of deleted data..

I purchase used computers for parts every so often. Many of them have working hard drives in them.

For fun, I analyze the hard drive out and see what I can find.. just as a little game of mine.

When I run my undelete/recovery tools on them I can see basically everything the previous owner had on the drive.. including passwords. Some of the stuff may be overwritten.. but not much. I don't look at the stuff for malicious use, I just do it out of curiosity to study whether or not formatted drives really are secure. And I can say for sure they are not secure. I don't go in looking at each password I recovered or anything either.. i basically just confirm for fun that I can recover the disk.. it's a cheap thrill and only someone with no life would do such a thing. me. Actually there was a goal in all this.. it was to find the best undelete tool that worked generically in the most situations. And yes I found a few for MS Winblows that worked very well, since most computers I buy had ms windows on them.

One thing I found was that some undelete tools are not nearly as good as others. I thought many of them used similar algorithms.. but some of them really worked much better and completely differently

L505