On Jan 5, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

Yes. But even if it's legally redistributable, the question remains
wether it's free software or not.

Fortunately OpenBSD is Free Software. Unfortunately it recommends and
distributes proprietary software on it's servers (and it wasn't because
some user wrote some text on a wiki page).

"Recommends?" Where does it "recommend?" Please, show me a single URL where OpenBSD "recommends" software that's not in the base system.

If you said "makes available" I'd probably not bothered having responded to your ongoing drivel.

Only if they were using it like those sissy pseudo-fans of Free Software
which changed to Apple MacOS X just because it's "unix" (erms...) and
pretty, and works and has the apps.

That is: they'd use it without any soul.

Actually, I like OS X just fine. "non-free" and all. As a workstation, it's hard to beat. Especially since fighting to make KDE or GNOME "just work" for me in all aspects I need has proven tiresome and annoying.

Darwin, for what it's worth, is just as 'free' as Linux or gNewsense. Due to some licensing by Apple, parts of it are not as "free" as OpenBSD.

Then again, I know I don't have a soul. I like stuff that "just works" with out having to "fight to make it work."

There needs to be "soul" into the decision, or else it's just like
choosing clothing. Does she use OpenBSD because she wants to use a Free Software operating system? If so, what have you done to help her get rid
of her dependency on proprietary software?

Explain "soul." As in "be a 'soul' into the decision." I see you whip another four letter word out, and I suspect it may have a different meaning, much like your odd definition of "free." For what it's worth, I've always interpreted OpenBSD's usage of "free" as "Free as in Liberty." You're "free" to take it, change it, make it your own, and do what you want. You're also "free" to not return your contributions to a derivative to OpenBSD.

So far, nothing you've said that I've read has related to this definition of "free." It's always "Free as in Costs Nothing," "Free as in Comes Without Warranty," and "Free, except not really free."

All I can speak for, is for myself: if I use OpenBSD because I like its feature set, and if I deploy it as I can... that's the kind of user you want to go away? I'd say you're better off cancelling the project, if it
depended on you.

Actually, I think the "Go Away" was more of a "shut up you silly little wanker." That doesn't stop you from being in the userbase, it's just a nice way to ask you to keep your trap shut until you have something really useful to say.