Thank you very much for your swift reply.  Using 'scrub on enc0
max-mss 1310 no-df' immediately solved the problem.

I have two questions though,  since 1310 is smaller than needed, how
do I determine the correct setting to use after max-mss?  I understand
that in theory I want to subtract the length of the extra IP header
and the ESP header from 1500, but I'm not sure what the length of an
ESP header is (since it looks like it is variable because of padding.)

Also, the pf.conf man page recommends using random-id with no-df.  Is
that appropriate here?

Thank you again for all your help.

--MHC